Kanchipuram and Mahabalipuram
Date: 25-Oct-15 and 26-Oct-15
We had to attend one of Thilak’s cousins’ wedding at Chennai on 26th October. I had stayed in Chennai for 1.5 years during the year 2009-2010. After 5 years, this was the first time I was visiting Chennai again. When we were searching for the hotels for our stay, I came across many familiar place names, which brought back old memories. I was excited to visit Chennai once again.
Instead of simply attending the wedding, we decided to satisfy our wander lust mind by visiting nearby tourist destinations. The places that appeared on our minds were Kanchipuram and Mahabalipuram. Since the wedding reception was on the previous night of the wedding, we had to start our journey in the morning. So, we made a plan like below:
- Day 1 – Start early in the morning, visit the popular temples in Kanchipuram, and reach Chennai by evening (3 – 4 PM). Attend the reception at night.
- Day 2 – Attend the wedding on the next day morning. Post lunch, if we have time and if the weather is bearable, visit Mahabalipuram. After visiting the popular attractions in Mahabalipuram, proceed towards Bangalore.
Since we did not have lot of spare time, we decided to go via National Highway (AH 43 and AH 45) which goes via Krishnagiri > Vellore > Kanchipuram. For the return journey also, we preferred the same highways instead of state roads because we were sure that, by the time we finish sightseeing in Mahabalipuram, it would be dark and we did not want to experiment on the unknown routes at that time of the day.
Thus, we made a plan for visiting the ancient marvels along with attending the family function.
- Route Travelled: Onward: BTM Layout > Hosur > Krishnagiri > Vellore > Kanchipuram > Chennai
Return: Chennai > Mahabalipuram > Chengalpet > Kanchipuram > Vellore > Krishnagiri > Hosur > BTM Layout
- Total distance (To & Fro): 827 km
- Mileage (Car): 21 km/l
- Fuel expense: 2422 Rs
- Total expense: 6662 Rs
- Photos: Kanchipuram Photos and Mahabalipuram Photos
Detailed day-wise travel journal of our trip is in the following links: